Virtually watch HBO Max movies and TV shows with friends
what you need to know
- You must install a browser extension to host an HBO Max watch party. We love Teleparty and Scener.
- Launch the HBO Max website and click on the extension. Click on The party begins (Teleparty) and copy the invitation URL.
- Click on Create a private theater (Scener) and copy the invitation URL or use the theater code to invite friends.
This article will teach you how to host an HBO Max watch party using a browser extension.
What is HBO Max Watch Party?
HBO Max doesn’t have a built-in feature like Prime’s Watch Party, which lets you host virtual viewings with friends and family.
In the case of HBO Max, you need a browser extension to watch the same HBO Max movie or TV show online with your friends and family. The video is synchronized so everyone can see it simultaneously, and you can also react in real time to on-screen action by typing in a chat box or speaking into your computer’s microphone and webcam (if available).
Here are the two best extensions to use (both are free):
- Teleparty: This extension allows you to sync movie and TV playback with up to 50 people remotely on HBO Max, as well as Netflix, Disney Plus, and Hulu. Teleparty is free, and all you need is a computer and access to HBO Max. The extension is currently only available on the desktop versions of Google Chrome, Opera, and Microsoft Edge, which means you can’t use it on mobile or tablet devices.
- Scener – This is a more feature-rich watch party app that lets you voice chat and attend public performances with millions of other attendees. In addition to HBO Max, Scener works with Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Funimation, Vimeo, Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, and Shudder. The extension is only available in Google Chrome and requires you to create an account.
Both groups (host and viewers) must use the same extension and have an active HBO Max subscription.
How to Host an HBO Watch Party
Once you’ve installed a Watch Party extension on your browser, setting up a virtual screening is a simple process. Your friends will need to install the same extension on their computers. The instructions and screenshots below use Teleparty.
Go to the HBO Max website in your browser.
Login to your account.
Select the movie or TV show you want to watch and start playing it.
Click it teleparty extension on your toolbar.
If you don’t see the Watch Party icon on your toolbar, you may need to pin it first. Open extensions and make sure that pin icon next to Teleparty or Scener is highlighted in blue.
Click on The party begins.
A window containing a URL will open. copy the link and send it to your friends so they can join in the fun.
Once everyone has joined, press play to start watching your chosen HBO movie or TV show together. When you’re done, press the button. logout button.
In Scener, click Create a private theaterthen copy and share the invite link or use the movie code to invite friends.
What can I watch during an HBO Max Watch Party?
Watch Party add-ons can be used across the entire HBO Max library, meaning you can virtually watch any movie or TV show available on the service with friends.
HBO Max offers a great selection of content including HBO’s full lineup of original series, movies, documentaries and comedy specials. Also includes Max originals like Zack Snyder’s Justice League and it opens the same day wonder woman 1984 Y Judas and the Black Messiah.
In addition to new series like Succession Y EuphoriaYou’ll also get access to movies and TV shows from other Warner Media properties like Cartoon Network, The CW, DC Entertainment, and Studio Ghibli.
Despite HBO’s reputation as an adult-focused network, HBO Max has movies and TV shows for everyone from preschoolers to teens and adults, so you can find something suitable for all your friends and family to watch. watch it together.
What do I need to host an HBO Max Watch Party?
To host or join an HBO Max Watch Party, you must first purchase an HBO Max subscription. After that, all you need is a laptop or desktop and a Watch Party extension like Teleparty or Scener.
Whichever add-on you use, you’ll be limited to watching HBO Max on your laptop or desktop, so no mobile devices, not even the iPad. Teleparty supports a maximum of 50 guests and text-only chat, while Scener allows ten guests and text, audio, and video chat.