You can also report a Discord server
what you need to know
- If you have a problem with another user on Discord, you should always contact the server moderator first.
- If that fails, right-click on any offending message and select Copy post link. Fill out the Discord Trust & Safety form with the link and describe your issue.
- If you have a problem with a full server, please use the same form to describe your problem and send it to Trust and security team.
This article explains how to report a person or server on the desktop version of Discord and includes tips to avoid issues on Discord.
How to Report a Person or Server on Desktop Discord
When it comes to social media, we all know there are jerks out there, and Discord is no different. Fortunately, it’s easy to report someone or a server if you run into an unsolvable problem.
However, if possible, you should first report problems to a moderator on the server where they occurred. Server moderators often know the users in question and are in turn better able to mediate disputes.
It’s also essential to make sure you report someone only for a serious issue, such as if a user violates Discord’s community guidelines or otherwise harasses you.
If you feel unsafe or believe you’re in danger on a Discord server, it’s probably beyond the Discord support team’s pay grade. The most Discord can do for an offending user is to ban their account, which may not always work. In these situations, contacting your local police department or a trusted friend or family member is a better first step.
The entire reporting process consists of contacting the dedicated Discord service Trust and security the support team by filling out a form that describes your problem. Depending on your issue, additional information may be required.
If there is an offending user, select an offending post, right click on it and select Copy post link. Fill out the Discord Trust & Safety form, describe your issue, and include the link.
If there is an offending user but no specific message, please fill out Discord’s Trust & Safety form, describe your issue, and include the user’s full username and the server on which the issues occurred.
If you have an issue with a full server, please include all relevant details in Discord’s Trust & Safety form for the Trust & Safety team. Copying the server link, like you can with an individual message, is great for making sure Discord understands which particular server you’re referring to. You can find the link by following the process of inviting someone to the server: right click on the server > invite people > Copy.
Tips to avoid problems on Discord
Of course, prevention is the best medicine, and you can take steps on Discord to minimize the risk of negative interactions.
- A member of a big server with lots of strangers? The right button of the mouse the server and select privacy settings. Deactivate Allow direct messages from server members. Now you can only interact with people on one server on this server.
- Are you bored with what is currently happening on a server? Right click on the server and select silent server; then choose how long you want to disable notifications, temporarily or indefinitely.