What to know about Microsoft’s cloud storage service
OneDrive is a cloud storage service from Microsoft. It comes included with the Microsoft 365 software suite, or you can get a free standalone account. You can save files, including photos, music, and videos, to your account, access them on multiple devices, and share them with others.
Is OneDrive free?
OneDrive offers 5GB of storage for free and paid plans starting at $1.99/month for 100GB. Microsoft also offers 1TB of storage for Microsoft 365 Personal customers ($69.99/year) and 6TB for Microsoft 365 Family customers ($99.99/year). (1TB each for six family members).
You can save Excel and other Office files to your account in addition to photos, videos, music, and other media.
What does a Microsoft OneDrive account require?
OneDrive requires a Microsoft account, which you can get through Hotmail and Outlook, Skype, and the Xbox Network. You can use OneDrive in a web browser or the app on Android and iOS smartphones and tablets, Windows and Mac computers, and Xbox consoles.
Windows 10 comes with OneDrive preinstalled, and a Windows 10 OneDrive app is also available in the Microsoft Store app store.
Features of OneDrive
OneDrive works the same way as its competitors when it comes to cloud storage space. Here are the main features you should know about:
- Backups: All the files you save to OneDrive are in the cloud, so if you lose or damage a device or it stops working, you won’t lose access.
- Share: You can share files, folders, and photos with others instead of sending emails or using a USB flash drive. You can send a link to the files by email or SMS.
- document scanning– You can scan documents, receipts, business cards, and other types of documents and media from your mobile device directly to OneDrive.
- personal safe: Protect sensitive files with a PIN, fingerprint, face, or code sent via email or SMS. You can also use Microsoft Authenticator to lock files. (Microsoft Authenticator is easy to set up.) And you can scan files from your mobile device and save them to your vault. The vault uses Bitlocker encryption and your account is automatically locked when you are not active for a period of time.
- Automatic photo uploads– You can set the OneDrive mobile app to automatically save photos and videos to your account.
How to use OneDrive